PLAN FOR A STRONGER NEWSGUILD OF NEW YORK
– Further develop the members portal on the new NewsGuild website
– Enhance live streaming for lecturers, courses and meetings
– Continue to build and expand social media presence
– Significantly improve communication with members through actively updating new website and members portal
– Launch a monthly podcast that discusses issues our members care about
– Grow our Associate Membership Program through organizing around issues important to freelancers and offer benefits to casuals/temps through our local
– Form a Membership Development Committee for Local and in our shops to which will help develop ideas for events, classes, and panels and significantly increase member participation for events.
– Create a comprehensive shop steward and leadership program that is regularly offered in all our shops
– Continue to develop LGBTQ caucus to address issues facing the LGBTQ community in the work place
– Continue to conduct pay gap studies throughout shops to make sure all members are paid equal pay for equal work
– Ensure that Membership Director creates and leads membership committee that implements strategies to increase membership involvement, especially among underrepresented groups
– Create scholarship funds for members seeking to further their education
– Develop a new and improved contract template and standard operating procedures for all staff to follow to achieve strong modernized contracts on behalf of our members.
– Develop the next generation of leaders and train them to be Shop Stewards/Unit Council and Executive Council members.
– Implement monthly shop meetings for small shops and regular “lunch & learn” meetings in large shops.
– Develop a communication, mobilization, and research plan for each shop to help achieve best contract we can for each unit.
– Increase the number of dues-paying members within 30 days of being hired through membership orientations.
– Have a Membership Associate focus solely on tracking membership dues.
– Transfer hundreds of important documents from Docuware to the more secure and efficient Unionware.
– Track vacation and comp time with software and include information on pay-stubs.
– Create an official Office Handbook that includes: harassment policy, financial guidelines, 2023 plan, associate membership program, SOPs for communication, orientations, negotiations, communications, membership development and office procedures for support staff.
– Cut down on legal expenses by being more deliberate about using lawyers in negotiations.
– Institute financial guidelines for Guild staff.
– Create a more transparent budget process that allows staff to easily identify areas to cut costs and increase savings
– Revamp our bylaws so that they better reflect our needs in elections and day to day life.